Wine and Cheese Blog #1

 This weekend, my friends and I decided to do another wine pairing, this time with different cheeses. The cheeses were served with rosemary Triscuts and club crackers as well as some salami and capicola. I had a great time with these pairings since this was my first time and this experience has made me appreciate the different flavors of wine and food pairings. I was able to enjoy the wine and cheeses when they were paired together as the flavor combinations worked extremely well. We started with a carbonated white wine and then a regular white wine pairing before moving onto a red wine pairing. My favorite combination was the Manchego cheese and the Pinot Noir, I was able to enjoy the wine so much more when the flavors were combined together rather than if I was eating them by themselves. 

*I forgot to take a picture with the wine and cheese that included me and my friends and we had already thrown the bottles away, I apologize and hope this mistake can be overlooked.*

Pairing #1: Brie and Prosecco
The first pairing of the night was a Prosecco made by Lamarca with a nice creamy brie. The Prosecco itself had a flavor profile including strong tastes of apples and pears. It was a very light wine that I thought paired very well with the brie. The carbonated wine and the light brie worked very well together. The creamy and buttery brie wasn't too heavy of a cheese and while great on its own, the combination of the two brought out a completely different flavor profile which I really enjoyed. The wine was chilled for about a half hour before consumption which definitely helped enjoy the wine at its best quality. 


Pairing #2: Smoked Gouda and Reisling
The second pairing of the night was a German Reisling and an aged smoked gouda. The wine was very light and smooth to drink. It had a very prominent apple profile although it did have a flavor profile consisting of other fruits as well. This wine also had a slight acidic bite to it as well although it was a sweet wine. The smoked gouda was a very bold and has a strong flavor profile. The wine helped cut through the gouda and prevented it from getting too heavy as I kept eating it. I thought this pairing also worked well with each other revealing a new enjoyable flavor profile when combined together. This wine ws also chilled before eating to enjoy the wine at its best quality. 


Pairing #3: Manchego and Pinot Noir
The final pairing of the night was a Pinot Noir paired with a quarter wheel of Manchego cheese. The wine was from California with a very strong flavor profile. There was a very strong taste of black cherry with maybe a slight hint of raspberry as well. The Manchego also has a strong heavy flavor profile which is why these two paired very well together. I normally am not a big fan of the reds, even when trying the Pinot Noir on its own I thought it was too strong for me, but when combining the two together I found it to be extremely enjoyable. Washing down the cheese with the red brought the best out of the two. Since I was able to enjoy the red wine, I found this pairing to be the most surprising and the most enjoyable. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wine Dinner 3rd Period